Ivy Gourd or Kundru or Tindora is a popular vegetable used in south Indian cuisine. Ivy gourd fry and curries are popular dishes. In this recipe, I made a delicious kundru chutney and then stir fried it with rice, making a delicious Tindora rice!
Tindora Rice Recipe/Ivy Gourd Rice
This recipe combines the taste of kundru/tindora chutney with crunchy coconut flakes and roasted peanuts! The best part about this recipe is that you won’t have the tedious task of cutting each tinder one by one! Just pour them in a food processor along with all the spices and done 🙂 If you have left over pre-cooked rice, you got to try this recipe!
- We need around 6 cups of pre-cooked rice. You can use any type of rice
- Make sure that the tindoras have been nicely cleaned. Cut off the ends of the tindoras
- Pour the tindoras into a food processor.
- Add in 5 to 6 garlic cloves that have been roughly chopped, ~8 to 10 curry leaves, three green chillies or to taste, and one and a half tablespoon of peanuts.
- Grind everything to a coarse paste and set it aside
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a pan set on medium heat
- Add in the dry red chillies, mustard seeds, crushed coriander seeds, curry leaves, hing or asafoetida and turmeric powder
- Stir fry everything for around 15 to 20 seconds
- Add in the crushed ginger paste and the grated coconut
- Give it a quick stir and add in the tindora paste
- Add salt to taste. i’m adding approximately one and a half teaspoons of salt
- Mix well and place the lid on.
- Turn down the heat to low and let this cook for around 7 minutes or so
- Turn up the heat to medium again and add around 1 tablespoon oil
- Stir fry the tindora till the paste looks slightly light brown in color. This should take approximately 10 minutes
- Add in half of the chopped coriander leaves and half of the lime juice
- Mix everything together and check for salt
- Add in the pre-cooked rice.
- Add salt to taste
- Mix the rice and the masala thoroughly
- Stir fry the rice for 10 to 12 minutes
- Add in the remaining lime juice and the remaining coriander leaves
- Mix everything