This fruit salad is a vibrant refreshing and healthy recipe especially for summer time
How to make Fruit custard with homemade jelly-with sago and chia seeds
This is a refreshing and filling recipe especially for summer. Chilled custard with homemade jelly (without gelatin or agar agar), sabudana, chia seeds and fruits!
- Add milk to a pot along with sugar.
- Make a smooth slurry of custard powder with some milk (from the pot)
- Once the milk starts to simmer add the custard slurry and stir vigorously
- Simmer till the custard thickens (it makes a thick coating on a spoon)
- Transfer the custard to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator
- Add water to a pot with rose syrup. Add more sugar if the rose syrup isn’t sweet enough. Instead of rose syrup you can also take orange or watermelon juice.
- Add 4 tbsp. of corn starch and stir well
- Turn on the heat to low/medium
- Keep stirring till it forms a jelly like consistency
- When the jelly seems to scrape away from the sides of the pot, pour the jelly in a dish
- Place the jelly in the refrigerator for 30 min
- Cut the jelly in cubes and set aside
- To a pot of boiling water add sabudana
- Boil for 25-30 min or until the sago balls turn totally transparent. (check the video below for details)
- Drain the water
- Add the cooked sabudana to some water (room temperature) so they don’t stick to each other until we are ready to add it to the custard
- You can also use basil seeds or sabja seeds instead of chia seeds
- Add 3/4 cups of water to 2 tbsp. of chia seeds
- Soak the chia seeds for 20 min while stirring from time to time. Stirring chia seeds helps it bloom easily.
- You can use chopped apples, oranges, banana, grapes or any fruits of your choice
- Garnish with slivered pistachios and almonds