Prawn Masala! Prawns/Shrimps cooked in a mouth watering gravy!
Prawn masala/Shrimp masala recipe
This is a delicious Andhra-Style shrimp curry that tastes great with steaming hot white rice!
For the gravy
- To the prawns/shrimps add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix thoroughly and keep it aside
- Set a pan on medium heat
- Add fenugreek (methi) seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, black peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon sticks, bayleaf, and roast till the mixture turns aromatic (roast for approximately three minutes)
- Lower the heat and add dry coconut powder. Stir for approximately 30 seconds
- Transfer everything to a grinder jar
- Once it cools down, grind to a fine powder
- Set a pan on medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil
- Add the prawns/shrimps in
- Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes (don’t fry them too long if not they will turn rubbery)
- Keep it aside
- Add a little more oil to the same pan and add cumin seeds
- Once they start spluttering add curry leaves and crushed garlic
- Stir fry the garlic for approximately 1 minute
- Add fresh tomato purée and a teaspoon of salt
- Mix well and place the lid on
- Let the gravy cook for five minutes and remove the lid
- Turn up the heat to medium and let the gravy reduce for the next 10 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Now add in the dry masala mix, kashmiri red chilli powder, and mix well
- Add 1 cup of water and add salt to taste
- Add tamarind concentrate if you want the gravy to be more tart
- Mix well and add the prawns
- Place the lid, lower the heat, and let it cook for five minutes
Roasted masala mix for the gravy
Stir frying the prawns
- Have this with steaming hot white rice with a teaspoon of ghee!