Palak Chicken is a rich and delicious chicken curry made with pureed spinach!
How to make Restaurant Style Palak Chicken Curry (Spinach Chicken)
Chicken cooked in a silky smooth spinach gravy! Palak chicken is a delicious chicken curry that pairs well with rice or roti.
For Spinach paste
- Marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and 4 tablespoons of plain unsweetened yogurt. Mix well and set aside while you prep the other ingredients for the curry
- To a blender jar add one bunch of coriander leaves, 1 tablespoon of Kasuri methi leaves (fenugreek), 4 green chilies and 4-5 cashew nuts. Set that aside, don’t blend it yet because the spinach leaves are yet to go in
- In this recipe we are not going to blanch the spinach we’re going to simply pan fry it. Pan frying the spinach is more hassle free compared to blanching the spinach and you don’t lose nutrients in the water as you do during blanching. While pan frying the leaves, follow my recipe carefully to preserve the vibrant green color of the spinach.
- Set a pan on medium heat and add a little oil just to cover the base of the pan so the spinach leaves don’t stick. Add 250 g or 3 cups of spinach leaves and place the lid on for approximately one minute so the spinach leaves start to wilt
- After a minute take off the lid and stir the spinach leaves till they have just wilted. Don’t over fry the spinach leaves if not they’re going to lose their vibrant green color
- Add the wilted spinach leaves into the blender jar with the other ingredients and blend it to a smooth paste
- Set a pan on medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Add a quarter teaspoon of cumin seeds and a 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick.
- Once the seeds start to splutter add one medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- Sprinkle some salt and stir fry the onions for approximately three minutes or till they turn translucent in color
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger garlic paste and stir fry for another two minutes till the onions turn lightly golden brown in color
- Add to tomatoes (finely chopped) And place the lid on for approximately three minutes or till the tomatoes have turned mushy
- Stir fry the tomatoes till they are completely cooked through and mash them with the back of the spatula so it forms a nice thick paste in gravy base
- Add in the marinated chicken and stir fry for approximately five minutes
- Add a quarter cup of water, Please the lid on and cook for 10 minutes or till the chicken has completely cooked through
- Turn down the heat and add the green spinach paste
- Add half a teaspoon of garam masala powder and let the gravy simmer for approximately two minutes on low heat (without placing the lid on).
- Add salt to taste and squeeze some fresh lime juice (optional)
- Turn off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of fresh heavy cream
- This curry pairs well with rice or roti
Marinating the chicken
Making spinach paste
Making the Curry
- Tips to make the gravy vibrant green in color
- 1) Don’t add too much turmeric powder if not that mixes with the green and forms a dirty mustard green color
- 2) Use tomatoes that are dull red in color so it doesn’t mess with the green color of the gravy
- 3) Turn down the heat when you add the spinach paste in and do not place the lid on when you cook the gravy. Green leaves have chlorophyll in them and when you overheat them the chlorophyll pigment alters and turns less green!