Hot and Sour Soup is a recipe of a popular Indo-Chinese style soup. This is a hearty and satisfying soup made with lots of veggies and has a spicy, savory, and tangy flavor! Once you have the veggies ready, your soup will be ready in 10 min!
Hot and Sour Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Set a pot on medium high heat and add in the finely chopped ginger and garlic
- Stir fry for 15 to 20 seconds, you don’t need to brown them
- Now add in the mushrooms. The main taste of the broth comes in from the mushroom pieces.
- Stir fry the mushroom pieces till they get dark brown in color. This should take ~2-3 minutes
- Now add in the carrots and the french green beans.Stir fry these for ~ a minute
- Now add in cabbage and stir fry the cabbage for not more than 15 seconds
- Now add in ~4 cups of water ( ~ 1L)
- Add in the chopped green chillies.
- Let the broth come up to a boil
- Add ~4 tablespoons of water to the cornstarch. Mix thoroughly so it forms a lump free slurry.
- Once the soup starts to boil, it’s time to add the sauces
- I am using 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce. If you’re using the high sodium one, 1/2 tablespoon should be enough
- Next, add in 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- I’m adding in a tablespoon of the red chili sauce, you can add as much as you like!
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of powdered black pepper.
- Add salt to taste
- Add in the corn starch slurry a little bit at a time. As the soup keeps boiling, the broth will get thicker. The consistency that we are going for, is just slightly thick
- Turn off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves and the chives or spring onion greens
- If you don’t like mushrooms, you can add in some veggie or chicken stock powder to the soup