Kerala style fish curry in coconut milk is one of my absolute favorite fish preparations! The gravy makes it especially delicious. It combines the flavors of coconut milk, spices, tamarind and curry leaves! Absolutely mouthwatering 🙂
Kerala Style Fish Curry in Coconut Milk
This is a delicious Kerala-style fish preparation in coconut milk! Use any fish of your choice, it doesn’t matter, the main flavor comes from the mind-blowing gravy! Make sure to cook it in coconut oil for added flavor. Let me know if you enjoyed this recipe!
- Coat the fish pieces with some salt and turmeric powder
- Set a pan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- Fry the fish for one minute on each side. Frying the fish helps it to retain its shape when added to the gravy.
- Once the fish is fried, set them aside and to the remaining oil in the pan add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds or methi seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves slit green chilies and stir fry for 15 seconds
- Add in the onions, crushed ginger and garlic, sprinkle some salt and stir fry till the onions turn translucent. This should approximately take 3 to 4 minutes
- Next, add in the tomato purée. Stir fry till the mixture dries up and looks oily. This should take approximately five minutes
- Now add in turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper powder and the thinner lower portion of the coconut milk.
- Add half a cup of water to thin out the gravy
- Place the lid on and let the gravy simmer for five minutes
- Add salt to taste and tamarind concentrate to taste
- Add in the fish and pour the creamier half of the coconut milk
- Place the lid on and cook for two minutes
- Add the remaining virgin coconut oil, give it a quick stir and done!
- Pan frying the fish is optional, if you like to put raw fish directly in the gravy, that’s alright too. The difference is that raw fish in gravy breaks easily whereas pan-fried fish holds up its shape better.