Pasta with sautéed mushrooms in a creamy cheesy and garlicky sauce!
Creamy mushroom pasta with white sauce
This is a flavorful pasta dish with sautéed mushrooms, covered in a creamy garlicky sauce! and guess what, we won’t use heavy cream to make it creamy! Here is how you make this elegant dish…
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan set on medium heat
- Add crushed garlic and sauté for 30 seconds
- Add mushrooms and sauté them till they turn deep brown in color this should take approximately four minutes
- Keep the mushrooms aside
- To the same pan, add butter
- Once the butter melts add all purpose flour and let the flour cook for two minutes
- Make sure to stir the flour paste (roux) continuously. Let it bubble and get thinner but not turn dark in color
- Pour the milk in while mixing the roux continuously
- Add black pepper powder, half a teaspoon of salt and mix
- Add half a cup of cheese
- Stir continuously till the cheese melts and the sauce gets thicker. This should take around three minutes
- Add the mushrooms and mix
- Turn off the heat and keep this aside
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt to 10 cups of water
- Get the water to a boil
- Once the water starts boiling, add the pasta in
- Cook till the pasta is 90% done (al dente) This should take approximately eight minutes (check the package for instructions). The pasta should break easily but not be pasty
- Save some of the pasta water before draining it
- You can use pasta water to thin out the sauce in case it gets too thick
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce immediately
- Add salt to taste
- Garnish with chopped basil leaves
White sauce or Beschamel
Cooking the pasta
- This is a simple yet delicious recipe! If you’re a cheese lover you will love this!
- Let me share some variations to this recipe that you can try:You can use parsley or spring onion greens or mixed Italian herbs or oregano for garnish!
- You can sprinkle some chilli flakes if you like it hot!
- You can make it even more flavorful by adding some soy sauce to the milk and grate some cheese as garnish!
- Sautéed spinach works well with mushrooms too!