If you are craving something spicy and packed with flavor, this quick one-pot prawn pulao is for you!
Prawn pulao/Shrimp pulao with coconut milk
The prawns/shrimp and the rice are marinated in aromatic spices and cooked in coconut milk! This rice dish is irresistible! Try it!
- Soak 2 cups of rice in water for at least 30 minutes.After soaking the rice, drain off the water completely
- Take the prawns in a bowl and add half a teaspoon salt, turmeric powder and ~half of the masala mix
- Add the rest of the masala mix to the rice and mix thoroughly
- Shake the can of coconut milk and then measure out the amount of coconut milk in it, using the same size cup that you used to measure rice.
- One can of coconut milk has approximately 2 cups in it. Rinse the can with a cup of water and add it to the same bowl. Keep this aside
- Add ghee to a pan set on medium heat
- Add Shahi Jeera, cumin seeds, onions and half a teaspoon of salt
- Stir fry till the onions turn golden brown (for approximately 7 to 10 minutes)
- Add crushed ginger and garlic
- Stir fry till the onions turn darker brown (for approximately two minutes)
- Add the prawns
- Sauté the prawns lightly (for approximately two minutes)
- Add green chillies and mix well
- Add rice
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the rice and 2 teaspoons of salt
- Mix well
- Add lime juice
- Stir fry the rice for approximately five minutes
- Add coconut milk + water, saffron, 2/3 of the coriander leaves and 2/3 of the mint leaves
- Add water as needed
- Turn down the heat and place the lid on
- Let the rice cook for 10 minutes
- Once the liquid has evaporated give it a gentle stir.
- Cover and cook for another five minutes or till the rice is fully cooked
- Garnish with the remaining Coriander and mint leaves
- I used a standard measuring cup for this (one cup of rice=128 g)
- I used basmati rice but you can use any rice of your choice
- I used frozen prawns in this recipe. You can easily defrost them by running them under tap water for approximately two minutes
- Make sure to place the prawns on a strainer so that the excess water is drained off
- This recipe is quite spicy! If you like it mild or if you are cooking for kids use half the masala mix, you can store the other half for later.
- The amount of water in this recipe depends on the brand of rice you are using. I use the “Kohinoor extra long” basmati rice. For this I need to add another cup of water
- Don’t worry if the rice is under done sprinkle a little more water and just cook it till it’s done!