Ready to make the Valentines day dessert of your dreams?! 🙂
Mini Heart Chocolate Cake-Valentines Day Cake ideas
This chocolate cake is a velvety and moist chocolate sponge cake filled with light and airy vanilla whipped cream and covered with silky smooth chocolate ganache! The valentines dessert of your dreams! ❤️
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 deg. F or 180 deg. C
- Combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix and set it aside
- Add 1 tbsp. of white vinegar to the milk (lukewarm) and set it aside to slightly curdle.
- Add cooking oil in a big bowl, add granulated sugar, dark brown sugar coffee powder and vanilla extract
- Whisk everything well and set that aside
- The milk should have slightly curdled by now. if it hasn’t curdled, add a little more vinegar to it.
- Add baking soda into the milk and mix well.
- The milk should immediately start to turn frothy if it doesn’t then you’re baking soda is probably too old and you should get fresh baking soda
- Pour the milk into the bowl and whisk vigorously till all the sugar dissolves
- The baking soda reacts with brown sugar and releases more carbon dioxide
- The more you whisk, more the bubbles and more the bubbles, more airy your cake will be
- Now sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Sifting also makes the cake airy.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients in
- Make sure to use the “cut and fold method” to mix in the ingredients. Using this method the dry ingredients are “just combined” with the wet ingredients and there’s no over mixing
- After all the dry ingredients are mixed in whisk really briefly to break up any clamps that may have formed. Do not over whisk. Follow all these tips and you’ll find your cake turns out to be so soft and airy
- Now pour the cake batter onto the sheet pan
- Tilt the pan in all directions so the batter fills the sheet pan completely
- Use your spatula to even out the surface of the batter
- To get rid of any air bubbles use a chopstick or a toothpick and just swirl it around in the cake. But make sure not to rip the parchment paper!
- Bake the cake in your preheated oven for 17 to 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean Let the cake cool down completely! You can cool it in the refrigerator as well
- Use a cookie cutter to cut little heart-shapes
- This cake is really soft you have to be gentle when you take it out of the cookie cutter
- Take heavy whipping cream, powdered confectioners sugar and vanilla extract in a big bowl
- Start whipping at slow speed for around 30 seconds or so then slowly switch to medium high speed and whip for another one to two minutes until stiff peaks form
- Fill a piping bag with whipped cream
- Pipe 2 layers of cream onto the chocolate heart sponge cake
- Cover the cream with shavings of your favorite chocolate bar. I’m used a Hershey’s bar
- Add the second layer of the chocolate cake and set that aside
- Take hot heavy whipping cream in a bowl and add milk chocolate morsels to it
- Mix well till all the chocolate melts and it forms silky smooth ganache
- Drizzle this all over the cake!