Fruit cake topped with smooth homemade marzipan and encased in chocolate! These Marzipan Fruit Cake Bites are Christmas flavors packaged into decadent bites!
Marzipan Fruit Cake Bites
Fruit cake topped with smooth homemade marzipan and encased in chocolate! Christmas flavors packaged into decadent bites!
Marzipan (almond paste)
- To a food processor add half cup of mixed nuts, 1/4 cup of raisins,1/4 cup of chopped dried apricots and 1/4 cup of chopped pitted dates.
- Add add half teaspoon of grated ginger or ginger powder and half teaspoon of orange zest
- Pulse 15 to 20 times till they are roughly chopped
- To one cup of all-purpose flour, add half teaspoon of baking soda, half teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg powder, 1/4 teaspoon of clove powder and half teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Mix evenly
- Add the chopped fruits and nuts
- Mix thoroughly and set this aside
- Add 1/4 cup of slightly softened unsalted butter to the food processor and 1/4 cup of lightly packed dark brown sugar
- Pulse 3 to 5 times. Scrape down the sides and repeat
- Add two eggs (at room temperature, lightly beaten) and add half cup orange juice
- Pulse a few times till the mixture looks frothy. Scrape the sides and repeat
- Add the flour mixture in thirds. Pulse 2 to 3 times
- Grease a baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Add the cake batter, spread it and flatten the surface
- Bake at 300° Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes
- While the cake is baking let’s make marzipan
- Take 1 cup of almond flour and add 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar to it
- Mix evenly and check to see if it’s sweet enough
- Now add water little by little till it forms the consistency of a sticky dough
- You need approximately 4 tablespoons of water
- Cover the bowl and set it aside
- After the cake is baked let it cool down and cut the cake in whatever shape you want
- I used the lid of a jar to cut the cake in 3 inch circles
- You can also make other Christmas themed shapes
- This batter makes 10, 3 inch circular cake bites
- Lightly grease your palms and make 10 portions of the marzipan
- Top the cake bites with the almond paste and press it down so it sticks well
- For making the chocolate glaze I used one cup of semisweet milk chocolate morsels Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 sec increments
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave in 10 second increments
- Mix the butter into the melted chocolate
- Dip the cake bites into the chocolate glaze You can use white chocolate or dark chocolate if you wish
- Warm the glaze in the microwave for 10 more seconds so it thins out a little and fill it in a piping bag
- You can use this to make designs on the cake!
- You can also add dried cranberries, figs, cherries, candied orange or lemon peel to the fruit cake mix
- You can also add cardamom powder and mixed spice if you like
- You can also add a splash of any alcohol of your choice if you like
- For the marzipan, you can either use blanched Armands for this recipe or even easier just use almond flour.I used the Bob’s Mill superfine Almond flour (which is made from blanched almonds
- You can also use honey or corn syrup instead of sugar and water
- Sometimes egg whites are added to marzipan but you don’t really need it
- You can add some almond extract to it if you like a stronger almond flavor
- Let the cake bites cool down so the chocolate firms up
- Keep them covered either at room temperature or in the refrigerator
- They can be individually wrapped as little Christmas delights as well!