This is an easy raw banana curry made without onion or garlic and tastes delicious!
How to make raw banana curry
This curry is made without onion and garlic. It has simple spices and tastes delicious with either rice or roti.
- Cut the raw bananas in long pieces. While cutting make sure the bananas are immersed in water so they don’t brown due to oxidation.
- Set a pot on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Next add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder, some salt to taste.
- Drain off the water from the raw bananas and add them in. Give that a quick stir and place the lid on. Let the raw bananas cook through (could take 2-5 min).
- Stir fry them until the raw bananas turn golden brown. Take them out and set them aside.
- To the same pot add some more oil if needed and add crushed coriander seeds, dried red chillies, (I like to break them and add it in because I like it hot) and Hing or asafoetida.
- Add a one inch piece of ginger, (that has been crushed) and a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder. Give that a stir.
- Add a small tomato (that has been finely chopped). Stir fry everything until the tomatoes get soft and mushy. This should take approximately two minutes.
- Add coriander powder and stir that along with the tomatoes for approximately 30 to 45 seconds so the coriander powder gets nice and toasted.
- Add some plain unsweetened yogurt (beaten well). Make sure that the yogurt is not too too sour.
- Add kashmiri red chili powder and normal red chili powder. Stir fry this Masala for approximately two minutes till the entire paste gets nice and thick and oily.
- Next add in one and a half cups of water, also add in a handful of coriander leaves. Give that a stir, place the lid on and let that gravy simmer for approximately five minutes.
- Add in the Raw bananas that we had stir-fried. Add more salt if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves and done!