Jeera Rice or Cumin flavored rice is a flavorful rice that pairs perfectly with any gravy based curries or dal
How to make Jeera Rice-2 ways
Jeera Rice is a simple cumin or Jeera flavored rice that tastes delicious with gravy based curries or Dal. This rice tastes especially delicious because the cumin is sautéed in ghee! Here I show you 2 different step by step recipes of how to make Restaurant Style Jeera Rice. I will show you how to make a one-pot jeera rice or how to make jeera rice with leftover rice!
- Pre-soak basmati rice in water for 20 min
- Set a pot on medium heat
- Add ghee, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bayleaf and cumin seeds
- Fry the cumin seeds until they turn dark and aromatic
- Add the pre-soaked basmati rice (after draining it) and stir fry for 1 min
- Add 2 cups of water, 1 tsp. of salt, a squeeze of lime and let the rice cook through. If you are cooking the rice in a pressure cooker add 1 cup of water and cook for 2 whistles.
- Garnish with corainder leaves
- To pre-cook the rice, take one big pot of boiling water. The quantity of water should be at least 5 times that of the rice
- Add 2 tsp. of salt and a splash of oil (do not add too much oil, if not the rice will turn out too greasy)
- Add the pre-soaked basmati rice and let it cook through
- Drain off the excess water and let the rice cool down
- Set another pan on medium heat and add ghee, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaves and cumin seeds
- Fry till the cumin seeds turn dark brown and aromatic
- Add in the pre-cooked rice along with 1/2 tsp. of salt
- Stir fry the rice for 1 minute
- Garnish with coriander leaves
One Pot Jeera Rice
Jeera Rice with pre-cooked rice
- Adding some lime juice and oil to the water in which rice is cooked prevents the rice from sticking to each other.