This cauliflower cheese recipe is for my cheese lover friends!
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe without using an oven
Ooey Goey delicious cheesy cauliflower! It’s rich and creamy but has no added cream! If you are not a fan of cheese, this dish could very well make you one!
- Take a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a piece of parchment paper
- Place thin slices of cheese and heat in the microwave till they turn nice and brown
- This should not take more than 1-2 min.
- After it cools down for 5 minutes you’ll see that they’re nice and crisp
- Set these aside
- Take 6 cups of water in a pot and bring it to a boil
- Add around 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- Drop the florets in and place the lid on
- Let it cook for approximately five minutes
- Drain off the water completely
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan and set it on high heat
- Now stir fry the cauliflower so it browns nicely. This should take around 10 minutes on high heat. Browning the cauliflower makes it really really tasty! You can Brown it as much as you like!
- Set them aside
- Now let’s make our delicious cheese sauce
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan set on medium heat
- Add finely chopped onions and stir fry them till they are translucent
- This should take a minute or so
- Then add the garlic powder. You can add crushed garlic instead if you like
- Add all-purpose flour in and stir fry the roux for around 2 minutes or so till it turns into a nice light golden color
- Now add the milk in. Its best when the milk is warm or at room temperature.
- Add powdered black pepper
- Crush 1/2 a stock cube with your fingers and add that in
- Add in the cheese
- Stir the sauce for 5 to 6 minutes. Don’t make the sauce too thick because the sauce keeps getting thicker as it cools.
- You can add more salt if you need to and then drop the cauliflower florets in
- Coat them really well with the sauce.
- At this point you can cook a little longer to make the sauce thicker
- Now add the shredded mozzarella cheese
- Break up the cheese crisps and sprinkle them all over
- Now garnish with finely chopped spring onion greens or chives