Osmania biscuits are famous biscuits from Hyderabad, a city in Southern India. They are most commonly sold in Irani cafes. They have a wonderful light and crunchy texture and pairs really well with tea. You can now make this famous osmania biscuit in your kitchen!
Did you know how easy it is to make the famous Hyderabadi Osmania Buiscuits at home? Sweet ‘n salty crisp cookies, perfect with a cup of chai! Let’s make it together!
- Preheat your oven to 300° F or 150°C
- To the all purpose flour, add salt, baking powder, cornstarch and milk powder
- Mix evenly and set aside
- Spread the butter in a bowl or flat surface and add powdered sugar and vanilla extract
- Combine till it becomes light and fluffy
- Add in the flour mix 2 tablespoons at a time
- When the dough feels dry add 1 tablespoon of milk
- I added 3 tablespoons of milk in total
- Roll the dough and cut biscuit shapes with a cookie cutter or a lid of a jar
- Transfer them to a baking tray covered with a parchment paper
- Brush the biscuit dough pieces with milk and discard the excess milk by tilting the tray
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes till they turn slightly brown
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. It gets crunchier once it cools down!
- The texture dough should break easily and not be too stretchy. Don’t over knead the dough if not the biscuits will be dense