Delicious and healthy Apple Cabbage Coleslaw without mayonnaise!
Apple Cabbage Coleslaw without Mayonnaise
You don’t need mayonnaise to make a salad taste yummy! I used hung yogurt in the salad and it turned out creamy and wonderful. The addition of apple pieces along with other veggies adds little sweet refreshing notes to this salad. I hope you enjoy it!
- Instead of mayonnaise we are going to use hung yogurt. Take one cup of plain unsweetened yogurt, that is not too sour.Hang that in an absorbent cloth for at least one hour. Most of the water is absorbed and you will be left with this beautiful creamy yogurt
- Beat the yogurt well using a fork, till it has a silky glossy texture
- To this add 1/4 teaspoon of powdered black pepper, 1/2 tsp. of mustard powder, salt to taste, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. of lime juice, if the yogurt is too sour you can skip the lime juice, add 1 tbsp. of chopped spring onion greens
- Mix well
- To a big bowl add the green cabbage, purple cabbage, sliced apples, carrots and bell pepper
- Mix everything well
- Add in the yogurt mix
- Give this a taste and add salt or sugar as needed
- Squeeze some lime juice on the apple pieces to prevent the pieces from turning brown due to oxidation
- Make sure to add the yogurt just before you’re ready to eat the salad. If you add it a lot in advance the salad is going to get pretty watery
- You can have this salad as a side dish or make a simple sandwich with it or mix it will some pasta to make pasta salad! Check out the video recipe!